In this edition we presented, for the first time in Portugal a set of original pieces, drawn and produced between 1958 and 1965 by Le Corbusier and Pierre Jeanneret for the city of Chandigarh in India. In 1950, Pandit Neru, India’s new prime minister, invited Le Corbusier (1887–1965) to be the architect responsible for the future capital of Punjab, with the objective of making it thr symbol for the “new” India. This new city, a true manifesto of the modern movement, was the only project of large magnitude undertaken by Le Corbusier, transforming itself into a true laboratory for architecture and urbanism projecting this new country into the future. Responsible for the design of a large part of the furniture for the new state buildings (and some private residences), Pierre Jeanneret had to consider several technical limitations dictated by the circumstances, whilst at the same time making use of the experienced craftsmen and abundance of raw materials existent in the region. Through simple yet more functional ways, Jeanneret created a variety of furniture that responded thoroughly to the needs of each space.
Additionally, important Portuguese design pieces were on display including the works of José Espinho, Miguel Jacobetty and José Pereira alongside those of other prominent designers such German Gerry Rietveld and Italians Franco Campo and Carlo Graffi.